Saturday, September 17, 2011

Interview with Karen Toz Author of "Nate Rocks the World"

Tell us a bit about you.

I'm a happily married mom of three great kids aged 5-14 and one extra furry kitty. I tell my kids all the time to 'dream big.' This year, I decided to take my own advice, and I published my very first novel - a children's book geared toward 7-12 year olds. I also enjoy to blogging about my chaotic life with a teen, tween and little one. Besides writing, I love to spend time with my family, cook, and garden.

How did you begin your writing career for children?

I began quite recently actually. About a year and a half ago, I sat down with an idea I had been carrying around for a while for an adult contemporary novel and quickly discovered that I love to write! The book, although about an adult, has several flashbacks back to the main character’s childhood. It did not take long to discover that I preferred writing in a child’s voice.

Was there someone or some event in your life that inspired you to write Nate Rocks The World?  

At about the same time I started writing, I noticed that my two older children (aged 13 and 10 at the time) were becoming less and less enthusiastic about reading. Getting them to read anything beyond what was required for school was torturous. They complained there was nothing FUN to read. I decided to prove them wrong by writing a book! The main character is inspired by the two of them, as well as my youngest who was 4 when I started writing.  My oldest son is the cartoon artist of the family. My daughter is a dancer and very creative, and my youngest son loves to role play as a super-hero. I rolled them all together to create one fabulous Nate Rocks!

If you weren’t a writer, what would you be?

Actually, I have a part-time day job as a tax accountant! I’ve been an accountant for many years now and I enjoy working clients. I’m fortunate that I have enough time to both work in my field and write.

What feelings or lessons do you hope your book leaves its readers?

The message I hope to leave readers with is that anyone and everyone can accomplish great things.


Describe yourself in five words

Wow - this is harder than being limited to Twitter’s 140 characters! Let’s see:
driven, compassionate, emotional, fulfilled, inspired

Is there a children’s book that you have read that you wish you had written?

Absolutely - I wish I had written the Harry Potter series. I think it is just brilliant.

Whats next for you?

Well - I’m in the editing stages of that adult contemporary novel I started last year, and I also am part way through the next book in the Nate Rocks series!

Do you have any advice for others interested in writing books for children?

Take the advice of my own children: kids want to read books that are fun! Writing for children is the best - you get to live your inner childhood all over again. Enjoy your characters - allow them to grow and blossom and take the opportunity to send a message to your readers.

Do you have a website or a fan page?  Where can we find your books to buy?

Yes - readers can connect with me on my website: www.karentoz.com and on Facebook: www.facebook.com/karenptoz. Nate Rocks the World is available on-line at Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com and most other on-line retailers. It is available in print and in digital form for your e-readers. For more detailed purchase information, please visit http://www.karentoz.com/books--purchase-info.html            

No comments:

Post a Comment